This is a family recipe that I was given under the strict promise to not give it to anyone. In response to that, I have given it to everyone who’s asked.
DO NOT DOUBLE THIS BATCH, this makes enough teeny-tiny licorice-flavored cookies to fill a 9×13 gladware container.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 8 cups flour (yes.)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp anise oil (needs to be the oil, not extract)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- With either a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add corn syrup and sour cream and combine.
- Add 4 cups flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, soda, and anise oil.
- Move to a counter or silicone baking mat and knead in other 4c flour.
- Roll out segments of the dough into rolls that are roughly the diameter of your index finger. Chill until firm.
- Slice and bake at 375 until golden brown, roughly 11-14 minutes.